Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thrift Finds!

A few weeks ago Ben and I decided to take a little adventure to the Greater Columbus Antique Mall in German Village (Thurman and High). Let me tell you, that place is AMAZING! First off, it's three stories and all three levels just ramble on in every direction. They have all kinds of stuff that fit varying budgets and it was pretty organized for an antique mall. All-in-all, we were both really impressed and ended up spending the whole afternoon there.

It was a pretty good day of antiquing too. I found 5 vintage patterns (all for $1 each!) and a Trimmings magazine, circa 1946 for $5. Most of the patterns are uncut and the magazine is really neat... it's full of how-to's for finishing and adding details to garments. I just love the vintage illustrations and trends from the 1940's -- Big Win for Amanda!

DSCN3196

Here are a few shots from Trimmings:
DSCN3200
DSCN3201
DSCN3202
DSCN3203
DSCN3204
DSCN3205

I also picked up an old Maxwell House coffee can.
DSCN3365
Sure, you may be wondering "Why in the world would she buy 30 year old trash?" Well, I have a good explanation:

Ls2_040AudreyII

I had literally just watched Little Shop of Horrors days before going to the antique mall. Now, you have to understand that I really love that movie, it has ties to my childhood and I guess you could say I have an attachment to it. My dad is a big sci-fi buff (you can read more here) and I remember watching it with him and also going to see a live production when one of the high schools did it. Ok, so I like Audrey II, well, minus the 'evil alien trying to take over the world' thing... and I'm going to use the coffee can for a planter. I just have to find the right kind of plant, preferably one that doesn't survive on blood or want world domination.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little Shop is the BEST!
-Sandra

Alexus1325 said...

WOW! That magazine is AWESOME! I'm so jealous :P

As for the planter, how bout a "dinosaur plant." I don't recall what it's really called, but they're these really ancient plants (literally they've been around for hundreds of millions of years!) and I remember seeing a box-kit at a gift shop once and once online. You plant it in a shallow dish of crushed volcanic rocks (I think it's called coralite) and give it a bit of water and it blooms out into this circular thing that looks kinda like a chrysanthemum. Every year you stop watering it and it dries up into a ball. Rinse and repeat. You could make some sort of interior stand in the tin so that the plant is sitting just below the rim. Here's one available online:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/8039/?cpg=ab

SEWButterfly said...

Love vintage patterns, also! And, I like the Maxwell House coffee can. Great finds!