Thursday, August 14, 2008

I've got tomatoes coming out the wazoo!

So, it's summer time... Some of you might be saying right now, "Duh Amanda... What? Do you live under a rock or something? Guh." Well, no, obviously, but when you take a look at the front of my house right now, it's so very apparent that summer is upon us. And it truly is glorious.

I've been picking tomatoes from the garden for awhile now, mainly little orange cherry tomatoes, but still. Those little guys have been ripening consistently over the past few months (round two has now started booming and turning into little green babies already) and have been delicious, but they're not the one's I've been waiting for. I'm talking about the big guys - the big kahoonas, if you will - that I've been eagerly waiting to see turn red.

I'm sure you all know how it goes: first you get the nice little yellow blooms, then when those fall away you have that little green nubbin that makes you think, "Really? That's going to be a tomato? ...if you say so." Well, that little green nubbin does grow, and it grows fast! Mine did anyway. They got HUGE over night... but they were green. Now, I realize that Fried Green Tomatoes is not just a movie, it's actually a dish, but knowing that the red, juicy, ripe tomatoes were eminent, I patiently waited... and waited... and a little more. Needless to say, it paid off. I have more tomatoes than I know what to do with! Oh, ok, I know what to do with them... but I digress. I'll waste no more of your time babbling, take a look for yourself.

In the beginning, all we saw was yellow...


Then we were seeing green...


Oh, they're so close...


The first big harvest...


That was only the beginning... Check out round 2...


Amazing! It's only August 14th... I've been picking these big guys since mid July. I'm blessed, truly.

1 comment:

Sharpie said...

Ben told me you have nice wazoo.