Sunday, August 3, 2008

Totally Gratuitous

I came across this really neat ceiling fan pull in the Uncommon Goods catalog awhile back:

I love the idea... a little bat that hangs from your ceiling fan. How Cool! (For those of you who don't know this already, I desperately want a bat house in the yard. They eat mosquitoes, and I have plenty of those to go around. Plus they're totally beneficial and helpful animals to have around.) So anyway... This little guy at Uncommon Goods is $50! I just can't justify paying that for a ceiling fan pull. Now, I'm not discounting the craftsman ship and saying it doesn't deserve to cost that much, I just simply can't afford it right now. So I ask myself, what would Crafty Amanda do in this situation... MAKE IT!
So, I made this a few weeks ago out of $5 worth of Sculpey clay:
He turned out perfectly! I couldn't have asked for anything different and I love him! So, it's not hand blown glass and it didn't cost $50... but I think it's WAY COOLER than the other one! Plus now I can actually reach the pull to turn the lights on. (I love to toot my own horn sometimes... Toot Toot!) If you really love him and would want your own batty to hang from your ceiling fan, I might be persuaded to make you one if you're really nice to me... ;)

Oh, and here's Lucy... she was feeling a little left out of the whole "blog thing"

No comments: