Monday, March 16, 2009

Wardrobe Refashion : Post 4 [3/16/09]

Finished Projects (finally!)

I haven't posted much lately, but I have been a very busy little sewing bee. I have some finished creations to post and another post on deck about my great thrift finds. (Hoorah!) So here it goes...

Burda_130Top First up is the Burda Top, style 130. (Get the free pattern HERE) The light brown jersey was on clearance at JoAnn for $4 per yard. I originally bought the fabric with no plan in mind for it, so when I made this top, I followed the pattern, but the length up shorter than I would wear. I couldn't find more of the clearance jersey, so I used a chocolate jersey for the band at the bottom. I'm actually really pleased with the final outcome... it turned out really cute and will be great to wear when the weather warms up.




GarboSkirt
Next up is the Garbo Skirt. This was a super simple pattern from Burda Style. (Get the free pattern HERE) My mom bought this fabric as a remenent from JoAnn awhile ago for a project that never happened so she gave it to me. There was a TON in the rememnent, so I opted to use it for this really cute tulip skirt. It falls just below the knee and has a really cute 40's style. The lining still needs hemmed, but it's close enough to finished to post. :)




MadrasShorts

I bought the pattern (McCalls #M5391) and fabric for these shorts last summer but never got around to actually making them. I cut the fabric about 4 months ago or so, but just got the shorts put together a few weeks ago. They still need hemmed and need a closure on the tab, but hey, they look like shorts!









FloralDress_B&A Before I took my 2 month pledge, I bought this floral summer dress on sale for $5. When I bought it I wasn't sure if it was a dress or a tunic length top (I didn't bother trying it on... I just went with it.) Once I got it home I realized it was a little too long for a shirt and a little too short for a dress. Solution: Shorten it! I'm really happy with the new length of the top, and as an added bonus, there was a great amount of fabric that got cut off. I have a cute brown tee from Banana Republic that I've had for a long time, but just couldn't part with. I haven't worn it in ages because it's just too short. I'm going to use the piece I cut off of the other top to lengthen the tee (maybe a ruffle...?)






Lunch Last, but not least, I made a plush, felt brown-bag lunch. (Yes, a plush lunch.) My littlest cousin is having his first birthday party on Saturday and after seeing THIS tutorial, I just had to find an excuse to make one. The lunch is complete with a ham and cheese sandwich with lettuce and tomato, a bag of ruffled potato chips, a chocolate chip cookie, and a mini cupcake. Skip to my Lou made a baggie for the sandwich, but given that Alex is going to be one, I thought it best to skip that part. So to hold the sandwich together, I added a piece of velcro to the back of each layer. I also added his name to the brown bag for a personal touch. I actually have a huge stash of craft felt (you just never know when you'll need some colorful felt!) so the whole thing didn't cost a dime either.

Last week JoAnn had all Butterick patterns on sale for $1.99. (!!!) I took advantage of the great deal and stocked up. One of the patterns I picked up was #B5035 which is a "1-hour" tunic top. I got a really pretty plummy purple jersey and decided to make it on Saturday to wear out that night for a friend's birthday. It was an easy 1-hour project and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I don't have a photo yet, but I'll post it when I get one. I would totally suggest the pattern... it was fast, easy and really cute. The only thing I would suggest though would be make sure you have a big cutting surface. It's a huge, single layer, one-piece pattern. It took me longer to get the piece cut out than it took to actually make it.

Until next time... Happy Sewing!
Amanda

No comments: