Monday, March 16, 2009

Wardrobe Refashion : Post 5 [3/16/09]

Thrift Finds

I took my first serious thrift shopping trip last week and found some killer steals! I've thrifted before, but this is the first time I've been since I took my 2-month pledge, and I had a much different view while shopping than before. We visited Ben's mom, Judi in Wooster about two weeks ago and ever since she mentioned the great fabric she found for amazing prices at her local thrift shop, I was just dying to go. The idea of getting rid of any cuts of fabric just blows my mind to begin with, so I hadn't thought about looking for fabric at the thrift stores. (Who gets rid of fabric?! I just can't wrap my mind around that one...) I found some amazing prints!

ThriftFinds

I'm pretty sure these are both table cloths, but I loved the prints and they're both really big. The blue and white floral is a really nice light-weight, kind of silky, linen-type fabric that I think will make a super cute dress. It cost a little more than I wanted to spend (a whopping $7.99) but after a long debate I decided it was definitely worth it. The plaid is a little heavier, but I'm thinking it will make a great skirt, and for $4, it was a good price for the amount of fabric. We'll see what happens with these... I'm really in no rush.

I found a HUGE un-cut piece of plain black linen (there's at least 4 yards) for $3 and about one yard of chartreuse linen for $1. I just couldn't believe the prices on all of the fabrics... I'm planning on checking back every few weeks. I also picked up a vintage "hippie blouse" pattern (McCalls #4867) for 90 cents! I thought it looked like a nice light-weight shirt that would be great for cooler summer days, plus it's vintage 70s! Love it!

I picked up a few clothing items too. The green tee was about $3 and still had it's original tags (bonus). I picked up some flocked iron-ons at JoAnn months ago but never found the right place to use them, and thought this tee would be a good place for the blue flower.


GreenTee_B&AGreenTee_Detail

BEFORE_BlueRuffleTopI'm not sure if this is meant to be a dress or a shirt, and I'm not usually a big fan of ruffled sleeves, but it was cute and a great color, so I went for it. I'm still debating whether I'm going to change anything or not. I was thinking of maybe removing the ruffles and making it a tunic tank, or I may just enjoy the fact that it cost $3... Any suggestions?


Dress_Skirt

Lastly, I picked up two clothing items for Ben's nieces Lucy and Beatrice (they're 7 and 5 and ADORABLE.) I'm definitely going to refashion these... Into what exactly, I'm not sure yet. I think they'll make great dress-up outfits -- they have lots of sparklies! The purple sparkly dress has some pit stainage and will need to be sized down, but I was thinking of keeping the style the same, just smaller. As for the sequined skirt, I have no idea, but the options are endless! There's enough fabric here to make two items, maybe two strapless tube dresses? I'd love to hear any suggestions you may have!

Happy Sewing!
Amanda

No comments: