Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Wardrobe Refashion : Post 1 [2/28/09]

As I mentioned in my last post, I'll be taking the Wardrobe Refashion pledge for the next 2-months. As I post there, I will also be re-posting here. Here is the first of my WR posts:
---
Hi There!

Hello re-fashionistas! My name is Amanda and I'm a 25 year-old graphic designer from Columbus, Ohio. I've been sewing for about 5 or 6 years now, but have been embracing the "craftiness" my whole life. (I suppose this would be where I say that my childhood "When I grow up, I want to be a..." wish was to be an artist. I guess some wishes do come true...) I love to make things. I started out with tote bags and that has spread into aprons, Christmas stockings, curtains, pillows... I've even taken a stab at quilting. I also love gardening and gnomes, hand-stitchery, paper crafting, among many other things.

I just recently found WR and the timing has been so perfect for me... I just lost my job a few weeks ago, and with no extra money lying around, buying clothes is *so* out of the question right now. I found the blog while looking for free clothing patterns and was totally awed and inspired by all the awesome things everyone has been making here. My closet and drawers are nearly bursting at the seams (it's safe to say that I have both a shopping and "keep everything" problem) and I am super excited about taking the 2-month pledge!

I've already started a super thrifty, cute summer top. I've used some vintage fabric that was given to me (free), buttons and baubles I had lying around (free), and I even found the pattern online at burdastyle.com (free). The only thing I had to buy for the project was some jersey knit which ended up being 20% off! I'll post some photos tomorrow.

This is going to be such a great challenge -- I really can't wait. It's going to be a great push to finish some unfinished attempts at clothes too. I've got a pair of bermuda shorts and a button-down shirt dress that need finished, plus 5 or 6 pairs of pants that need hemmed and altered. Not to mention a baby quilt and a couple of bags. With a whole chest of drawers over-flowing with a various fabrics, plus lots of clothes I never wear but just can't part with... this is going to be an exciting adventure!

Thanks Nikki for starting this awesome group and I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

Happy Sewing!
Amanda

(If there's anyone in the Central Ohio area, please drop me a line -- I'd love to meet some fellow crafters!)

No comments: