Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Newest Gnomes

I delayed this post until I decided on names for the newest additions to the Gnome family. I don't like to just choose names out of the blue for these guys... I like to think about them for a little while and make sure they're the most fitting. I've made peace with the fact that I'm a little crazy, don't worry. :)

First up: Pan, keeper of the kitchen.
I have to send a HUGE thank you out to Ben's brother, Ethan, for this little guy. He brought us this lovely little vintage gnome (and matching toadstool!) as a house warming/thank you gift when he came to stay with us for a few days back in November, and I absolutely love him! There's a sticker on the bottom of his foot that says "Made in Japan", so what would be more fitting than to name him Pan. Now, I understand that my Pan doesn't have horns or the hind quarters of a goat, but he's still a mythical creature, so it stays. Also, I think he's holding a lantern, but since he's small and somewhat delicate and will be living in the kitchen, I'm going to say that it's a bottle of booze and he's a little punchy. (See the pigeon toes? I mean, it seems pretty obvious to me...)

Lastly: Alfred, bringer of water.
I picked up Alfred somewhere in PA on the way back from Philly after Christmas. Ben and I stopped off to visit with his grandma, Uncle Greg, and his dad and decided to take a little side trip with Greg to this huge garden store (forgive me, I don't remember the name.) I was disappointed that they didn't have any of the poured concrete gnomes in stock - there were three different girl gnomes in the book! - but I at least I didn't leave empty handed. I picked up Alfred and a big, two-piece ceramic toadstool. I just loved his beard and happy-go-lucky stance.

Also, I am questing for a female Gnome, preferably with a green hat. If anyone out there knows where I can find a female Gnome, I would love to know. I've found a few on eBay, but they're either too small or not quite right (no dwarfs please.) They are so hard to find and I am so badly wanting one to add to the family. I mean, I know that according to Gnome lore the women rarely leave the home, but c'mon... I want one!

Until next time... Happy Gardening!
Amanda

1 comment:

Jobu said...

There's no place like gnome.