Thursday, May 28, 2009

Baby Shower Gift

I know I just posted a novel of a post trying to catch up, but I left out one thing. I'm really proud of this one, so I thought I'd let it take the stage on it's own.

Ben and I have some friends who are expecting their first baby - a boy - at the beginning of July. The baby shower was this past Sunday and I made our gift. Nate and Bridget are both sailors... They each own their own Jet 14 and sailing is a HUGE thing for them. I couldn't resist rolling with the whole sailing thing for their gift. The best part was that except for the onesie and a pack of 2 binkies, I didn't spend a dime on this gift! (Yes, I just happened to have a whole bunch of kid's sailor print...)

DSCN3229

The bundle included a custom onsie, a roll-up diaper changing pad, a roll-up peanut-shaped burp blankie, 3 bibs, and a matching "Daddy Bag" for quick trips.

Here's the detail of the diaper roll-up:
Diaper_pad
(The back is terry cloth and I made sure not to put the lower snap through both layers...
Don't want to irritate the baby's behind!)

Here's the detail of the burp roll-up:
Burp_blankie
(The back of this one is flannel.)

All of the bibs are different... I used a pattern from Nested
DSCN3209
(The back of these are also flannel.)

I don't have a close-up of the bag, but the idea was that it would be a bag for quick trips (it's fairly small) and/or be a bag that Nate wouldn't hate to carry. The strap is extra long so it slings across the chest like a messenger bag - I added a ribbon with a small clip inside for a binkie, a snap closure to the top, and a small pocket on the front. Based on Nate's reaction, I don't think he'll hate carrying it.

I even designed the onesie. We have a local business here in Columbus called Skreened that does one-off apparel printing. It's really awesome because you don't have to get a whole bunch of an item like you usually do with regular screen printing. The "Future Jet 14 Sailor" totally made the bundle and was well worth it! (You can check out my shop at Skreened HERE - Have a request, don't hesitate to ask!)

Happy Sewing!
Amanda

No comments: