Thursday, May 28, 2009

Wardrobe Refashion : Post 8 [5/28/09]

*tsk* ANOTHER missing re-fashionista...

Hello everyone... Ok, so I deserve a slap on the wrist, I am extremely behind in my blogging. Although I haven't been posting like I should, I have been sewing like mad! Let's rewind back to Mother's Day...

My mom had been asking me to make her an apron for awhile, so I thought a hand-made apron would make a great gift for Mother's Day. So great in fact, that I made one for Ben's mom as well...

Here's the one for my mom:
DSCN3045

And the one for Judi:
DSCN3118
(I used McCalls Easy Stitch n'Save pattern #M5505)

Next up is my first *official* re-fashion. Most things I've created since I took the pledge have been made from scratch and not re-fashioned from other garments. A handful of months ago Ben cleaned out his closet at his dad's house and found this polyester Ohio State jersey that he (thinks) he got at a garage sale as a kid. Not wanting it for himself, I saw huge potential in it for me. Let the deconstruction begin! First I took off the sleeves (they were very stiff from the "plasticky" screen printing) and ripped out the side seams, leaving the shirt like a sandwich board. When I put it back together, I took in the sides to have a bit of a shape so it would actually fit me. Then I made some 3/4 length sleeves out of gray jersey (my original plan was to use an old long sleeve tee that doesn't fit anymore, but it just wasn't enough fabric) and added a band at the bottom to gather it together. The photo really doesn't do the shirt any justice, I'll try to get a photo of me in it...

DSCN2564 DSCN3340

I had one of those moments at JoAnn the other day where I fell in love with a fabric, but had no idea what to do with it. After a little thought I decided on New Look pattern #6758 and ended up with this:

DSCN3327
I've already worn it too -- Success!

DSCN3345I felt inspired by all of the postings of the Spring Ruffle Top from over at the Sew, Mama, Sew! blog and decided to take a stab at it myself. It's not quite finished yet -- I need to take in the sides quite a bit. The shirt really makes me look preggers, and well, I don't want to be giving anyone the wrong idea now do I...

I do like it though, and it was quite a bargain! The pink fabric was from 2 fat quarters ($1 each) and the white is just simple $1.50/yard muslin. It's light weight and breezy, wonderful for summer.

Along a similar note, I used New Look pattern #6900 and some more light weight cottons to make another summer top. I wanted to try the pattern out for sizing and fit before diving into making the dress from the pattern. I didn't follow the pattern exactly and it still needs hemmed, but I really like it.

A local sewing store is closing and has had a really great close-out sale for the past week or so and for a grand total of about $22, I got all the things I need to make the dress from #6900. The pattern calls for 2 1/4 yards of the main fabric, so I figured $17 for that much Amy Butler print was nice. I think it's going to be super cute -- I love the retro, pin-up look of the dress

DSCN3348 DSCN3363

I made another pair of padded sailing shorts too. This time from a pair of Helly Hansen women's board shorts (so they actually fit me like I would like.) The first pair was a huge success and I'm looking forward to giving these a try at the regatta in a few weeks.

DSCN3341

I had a couple of good thrift finds over the past a couple weeks... DSCN3196

We went to the Greater Columbus Antique Mall and I found 5 vintage patterns (all for $1 each!) and a Trimmings magazine, circa 1946 for $5. The magazine is really neat... it's full of how-to's for finishing and adding details to garments. You can see more over at my blog. I just love the vintage illustrations and trends from the 1940's -- Big Win!

I landed two floral/striped pillow cases and a yellow jersey twin set from the Goodwill (I found the blue pillow case in my basement.) I've seen so many cute tutorials for pillow case tops lately, so I'm leaning toward something like that for the floral ones. As for the yellow twin set, I can't lie, it's really pretty aweful, but I saw a lot of potential. I might just re-shape the pull-over (I like the button placket and pockets) and fix up the collar a little, since it came as a twin set, I figure I can find something to use the fabric from the top for.

DSCN3360 DSCN3358

Ok, so that's probably the longest post I could have possibly written, so I'll try to keep up on the posting a little more frequently. :)

Happy Sewing!
Amanda

No comments: