Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wardrobe Refashion : Post 7 [5/2/09]

I'm back for another 2 months!

Welcome back everyone and hello to all of the new re-fashioners! I've re-signed for another 2 months... after pulling off a successful first 2 months, I just had to do it again.

I am *so* far behind in my posting... but not so far behind in my re-fashioning. My apologies. :) The weather has been so touchy here in Ohio, so I've been taking every opportunity I've had to get the garden rolling. Here's to catching up...

red dress I started a really cute dress a few weeks ago that turned out to be a fitting disaster. I was just really frustrated with it and didn't want to start anything else until it was finished, so the sewing kind of got put on hold for a little while. I used Butterick pattern #5317 and followed everything exactly as the pattern said - I used the all my measurements to get the right sizing, I carefully cut out the pieces, and I followed the assembly instructions as best I could. Then it turned out to fit me like a HUGE potato sack... Not happy. The real kicker is that I picked up 1 yard of the red and white floral fabric when I was in Philly for Christmas and had no way to get any more of it. I should have known this project would give me trouble when I had to really pull some magic to get all the pieces I needed cut out of the floral. One yard was barely enough. I had tried to get this dress done for Easter - didn't happen. Then I wanted to get it done to wear to a wedding last Saturday - still couldn't get it to fit. ARGH! It was so frustrating! I have to send out a huge thanks to my mom though, she came over yesterday and spent at least 5 hours helping me fix this disaster. There was just no way I could have done it since it really needed to be altered while on me. So I can now *very* happily post this pic (sorry for the photo quality.) I still need to get the dress markings off and it needs to be pressed with some serious starch to stiffen the pleats, but IT FITS!! :)

I also completed this shirt from Burda pattern #7646:

DSCN2902

I used a really light weight jersey that I found at WalMart for - get this - $1 a yard! I stocked up and got this chocolate brown, a forest green, a teal and green tiny floral print, and 4 yards of a great navy blue. I think I ended up with about 13 yards of fabric for only $13. This pattern was super easy (I had to re-size it a little, it was kind of baggy on me) and it is really comfy, I think I'm going to make another one. I was going to embroider it with this flower design, but I couldn't figure out the best way to transfer the pattern and the stretchy fabric was really hard to work with, so I nixed that idea. Oh well, I'm happy with it the way it is too.

DSCN2904

I also successfully created a pair of padded sailing shorts from a pair of thrift store swim trunks and a minimal amount of poly duck fabric. My boyfriend Ben just bought a Jet 14 sailboat in December and I will be sailing competitively with him this summer. He's been sailing Jets for sometime now (and has a collection of trophies to show for it) but this will be my first time. Most of our friends sail these boats too and everyone swears by their padded shorts (you sit on the edge of the boat and sometimes have hike yourself over the edge to balance out the boat and it can really bruise up your behind!) I just can't afford to pay the $85 for the shorts and pads right now, so I thought I'd try to make some myself.

Here are Ben's shorts that I used for a pattern:
BenSailingShortsOn the left without pads, on the right with the pads sitting on top -- the pads go inside the pockets to pad your butt and the backs of your legs.

Here's what I came up with for me:
AmandaSailingShorts
Considering I got the shorts for $3.50, the poly duck and Velcro for about $13, and Ben brought home the foam for free, I'd say this was a far better price than the $85. I haven't used them yet, but I think they'll work just fine. If they do turn out to be a success, I've got a pair of Helly Hansen board shorts that would be an all-around better fit that I will make into a pair of these. I just had to try this out on something a little less important than a nice pair of board shorts. :)

Happy Sewing Everyone!
Amanda

2 comments:

Trudy said...

Great site.
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Amanda Winter said...

Thanks Trudy! Your site is pretty amazing too... You have quite a lot of useful info up there. I'm definitely going to put it in my Google reader!