Saturday, May 30, 2009

Gardening Progress

So... there's really not that much to write about right now, but I have lots of pictures. Here's the latest shot of the garden:

DSCN3236
The gigantic stakes look really ridiculous right now, but I figured it'd be easiest to put them in now instead of later when the plants are bigger.

DSCN3234
Unfortunately my pumpkin seedlings that were growing so strong, didn't make it through the transplant. I opted to sow some seeds directly into the bed rather than start them in pots. I had just enough bike wheel rims to edge the bed and put the ones with spokes in the middle - Hopefully they'll act as supports for the future pumpkins.

DSCN3309
A few of the Brussels Sprouts didn't fare so well, but the ones that did are going strong! It's too bad it takes so long for the sprouts to really get going... we want to eat them now.
DSCN3310

DSCN3264
There have been a few changes to the potted plants... There were too many basil plants in the big red pot, so I split it up and put a few in the big blue pot. The basil, cilantro, and thyme (all on the orange chair) were started from seed and are going strong. The sage (below the orange chair) is also from seed and doing well. I decided I wanted more cilantro so I plopped a few seeds in the mosaic pot. I figured if I want to make salsa this summer, it can't hurt to have more cilantro. The oregano in the little green pot is a little slow, but it's going, and I decided to plant two hot pepper seeds in each of the other two pots. We'll just wait and see what happens there.

DSCN3239

DSCN3242
(That's a tomatillo... I realize the stick is a little faded already.)

DSCN3244

DSCN3245
The radishes are growing like crazy - both plots!

DSCN3247
Look how big the beans are!

DSCN3374
The peas are going nuts too!

DSCN3265
We've been eating fresh lettuce in salads almost every night. That's a spring/summer treat you really can't beat!

DSCN3248
This little cuke is loving life... so much so, he's already got a little baby growing!
DSCN3324

All-in-all, things are growing pretty well. I've been feeding everything a good dose of root-building food once a week, so hopefully they're bouncing back ok.

Until next time, Happy Gardening!
Amanda

No comments: